Vaghareli Khichdi Or Seasoned Vegetable Rice / Gujarati Dishes

Monday, July 01, 2013


Vaghareli Khichdi is all time comfort food, which is a very nutritious and healthy meal. The moment I hear about Gujarati dinner, it reminds me of Khichdi, Kadhi and Kachumber. I never knew about this combination until I met my Jeet, my boyfriend (yep He is a Gujarati) 😄. Gujarati's, love this combination for dinner since it is light and satisfying 😌. I learnt this recipe just for him 😳. It is easy and a one pot dish. You can either make in a pot or cook it in pressure cooker. You can add or omit almost all the vegetables in this dish. As I told you my boyfriend is a Gujarati, he is foodie and a cook either 😁, I learnt this dish from him and well I can cook it better than him now 😜. Jokes apart I really hate those days when have all the vegetables at home, yet don't feel like cooking any one of them 😔. At those times you can add all the vegetables in one pot and cook it 😌. I am going to share a complete Gujarati Thali in coming days, I need to get perfect before I cook for his parents 😀😄. So, lets get started.


Ingredients:

Rice 1 & 1/2 cup
Moong dal 1/2 cup
Water 3 & 1/2 cups
Ghee & Oil 2 Tbsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Cinnamon  1 stick
Cloves 3 to 4
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Onion 1
Green chili's 5 to 6
Ginger 1 Tbsp
Salt To taste
Green peas 1/4 cup
Carrots 1/4 cup
Beans 1/4 cup
Paneer 1/4 cup
Cilantro To garnish



Method:



Add rice and moong dal in a bowl. Wash and add 3 cups of water to it. Then set aside for 15 minutes.



Heat oil and ghee in the pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon to it. Then add ginger paste , green chili's, onions and fry until the onions are translucent.



Add all the vegetables, 1/2 cup of water and mix well. Then add the rice and moong dal which was set aside.



Cook it until you hear 4 - 5 whistles from the pressure cooker. Then off the heat and let it cool down. Open the pressure cooker and transfer the khichdi to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.


Enjoy your Vaghareli Khichdi with hot Kadhi and Kachumber.


Tips:
  • If you are cooking in a pot, after adding the vegetables, let them cook for 5 minutes.
  • One pot cooking takes 20 - 25 minutes.
  • For cooking in the pot you might need more water.
  • Make sure not to stir a lot after adding the rice.
  • You can also make this khichdi with whole moong, toor dal etc.,
  • For masala khichdi you can add some red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala.


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram