Idly Batter

Monday, March 23, 2015

Idly is a traditional breakfast in South Indian households. Idly is one of the food that I have grew up having regularly as a breakfast at My home. I always used to see my mom would soak the rice, dal and then grind it and leave it to ferment. I have made idly's most of the time at my place but previously when i started making it, the idly's were not soft and fluffy. I always used to do everything perfectly yet the idly's were a little hard. Then I came to know that my batter was not fermented well in the cold winters of US. So, I had to increase my fermentation time, then it was all soft idly's when I make.

Click here for Idly Recipe


Ingredients:

Preparation Time: 30 minutes | Soak Time: 4-5 hours | Fermentation: 10-12 hours

3 cups Rice (Click here for Idly Recipe)
1/2 cup Whole Urad Dal
1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
Water As Needed

Click here for Idly Recipe

Method:

  • Rinse the urad dal and rice.
  • Soak urad dal with fenugreek seeds separately. Soak rice in another bowl. 
  • Soak both urad dal and rice for 4-5 hours.

  • Drain urad dal, but preserve the water for later use.
  • In a wet grinder, add urad dal and add 1-2 tblsp of reserved water to it.
  • Grind the urad dal by addind few drops of water in between.
  • The batter should be light a fluffy when its done.
  • Pour it and set aside in a deep pan bowl.

  • Drain the rice and add it to the wet grinder. 
  • Use the same reserved water to bring the rice.
  • Keep adding water little by little while grinding.
  • The rice should completely ground.
  • When you feel the batter on your finger tips, the batter shouldn't be grainy.
  • Don't add too much water it should be smooth, but not too thick nor thin.
  • Now add this batter to the urad dal batter and mix well.

  • Cover the bowl with a lid and set the batter in a warm place (best place would be a microwave or a oven).
  • It should be left undisturbed for 10-12 hours. (make sure not to use any air tight lid on the bowl).
  • The next morning you can see that the batter rises and doubles in the quantity and might even thrown away the lid as it ferments.

Click here for Idly Batter Recipe


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram