Idly Recipe

Monday, March 23, 2015

Idly is a traditional breakfast in South Indian households. Idly is one of the food that I have grew up having regularly as a breakfast at My home. I always used to see my mom would soak the rice, dal and then grind it and leave it to ferment. I have made idly's most of the time at my place but previously when i started making it, the idly's were not soft and fluffy. I always used to do everything perfectly yet the idly's were a little hard. Then I came to know that my batter was not fermented well in the cold winters of US. So, I had to increase my fermentation time, then it was all soft idly's when I make.

Click here for Idly Batter Recipe

Ingredients:

4 cups Idly Batter
Salt to taste
Oil to grease

Click here for Idly Batter Recipe

Method:

Click here for Idly Batter Recipe

  • Add salt to the idly batter, mix well and set aside.
  • Grease the idly plates with oil.
  • Add water to your pressure cooker (depends on the size of the pressure cooker) and set aside. (I have added 2 cups of water).
  • Now with a spoon pour portions of batter into the greased idly moulds.
  • Place the idly moulds or plates in the pressure cooker and close the lid.
  • Remove the vent weight or whistle. (do not use the weight or whistle)
  • Steam the idly's for 10-12 minutes.
  • Open the lid and check whether the idly is done by inserting the toothpick into the idly's.
  • If the toothpick doesn't come out clean then steam it for few more minutes.
  • If the toothpick comes out clean then remove the idly moulds or plates from the cooker.
  • Now take a knife or spoon and twist it around the edges of the idly moulds.
  • The idly's would come out clean as it was greased before.
  • Make sure you never over steam the idly's as it may become dry and hard.
  • Serve Idly's hot with Sambar and Chutney.

Click here for Idly Batter Recipe


You Might Also Like

2 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram