Rava Idly ( Microwave Version) / Breakfast Recipes

Sunday, June 30, 2013

   
               The other day I tried this rava idly which my mom used to make, but I did not have my idli plates with me since I moved to a new place. Then I realized one of my friend giving me microwave idli maker, so I tried it and it worked really more than my expectations. Rava idli is one of the quick breakfast recipes for those days when you are in a hurry. I was running out of ENO salt so I substituted with baking powder and it worked.  




Trust me I was really not sure about making this rava idli's , because this was my first time. The moment it was done I took the idli in my hand and tasted it, yep it was so soft and tasty.  Must say it just tasted like my mom's recipe. So, lets get started.

Ingredients:

Rava/ sooji/ semolina 1 cup
Yogurt 1/2 cup
Baking powder/ ENO salt 1 tsp
Green chilis 5
 Ginger paste 1 tsp
Cilantro 1 Tbsp
Lemon Juice 1/4 tsp
Water 1/2 cup
Salt to taste

To Temper:

Oil and ghee 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Cashews 1 Tbsp
Channa dal 1 tsp
Method:


Heat both oil, ghee in a kadai and temper with the ingredients listed above. Then add rava, ginger, green chili's and fry it in a low heat. After its done transfer it to a bowl and let it cool down. Then add yogurt, ginger , lemon juice, salt, water and mix well.



Add baking powder and make sure that the consistency should be just like idly batter.
 Immediately, pour into the idly moulds.


Pop it into the microwave and set the time for 5 minutes on high temperature. When its done insert a spoon and it would come out easily.


And the spongy rava idly is ready, you can serve it with coconut chutney or your choice of chutney.

Tips:
  • Make sure you do not omit the Eno salt/ baking powder/ baking soda.
  • Make sure that the yogurt and water are of same consistency.
  • The batter should be loose not too thick.
  • When you add and mix the ENO or baking powder in the batter, you will see some bubbles in the batter.



These rava idli's will be soft for long time, so you can make them and enjoy it any time of the day.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram